Thursday, November 21, 2013
The Gronk Play
Wednesday morning’s Sport Science segment on "SportsCenter" examined Monday night’s game-ending play, and specifically whether Rob Gronkowski could have made a play on the ball thrown by Tom Brady were it not for Luke Kuechly's “restrictive” contact.
"Running at 16 miles per hour into the end zone, Gronk begins to decelerate nearly a full second before the ball arrives. Kuechly makes contact with Gronk a third of a second later, meaning contact happened 2/3 of a second before the ball was intercepted. " -Sportscience
Sport Science basically said that if Gronk wasn't touched he would have been able to make a play on the ball. They said it was highly unlikely that he would have been able to position himself to have a better shot at the ball than Lester, but the fact it might have even been possible makes the ruling that the pass was uncatchable WRONG!
I'm not saying that we need video replay for everything, but I rely would have liked to have seen them be allowed to review this, or that since the original call on the filed was pass interference that they would have kept it. I hate when games are decided on questionable calls.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree that every sport should have instant replay on certain situations because if they had instant replay for everything then games would be going on for 3-4 hours. Since I play softball I am so used to umpires making bad calls. From those bad calls the game can be flipped around in one call and either way one team is going to be upset. Yes it is part of the game that referees and umpires have to make calls on the spot but if it is a deciding factor of the game at least replay it. With replaying it, it allows the two teams to decide the game not the officials.
ReplyDeleteI was watching the game when this play happened and at first it seemed like Gronk didn't even try to come back for the ball he just wanted the foul. That is the only reason I wouldn't want to get plays like this reviewed. I feel like receivers would try to draw the foul more than they already do. Also even if he could of got to the ball I still don't think he would of caught the ball. But I'm probably just saying that because I hate the New England Patriots and was happy to see that flag reversed.
ReplyDelete