Sunday, November 24, 2013

Best If Used By

We all buy food that has some kind of expiration date or sell by date.  I'm sure like many of you I have thrown away plenty of food that "expired".  Research shows that American's throw away over $700 million dollars a year of expired food.  Research also shows that over a fourth of that was not spoiled and could have been eaten.  The dates that you see on food packaging are dates that the manufacturer puts on them, but these dates are  placed on their with extreme caution.  Meaning, that the product is good for days, weeks, even a month after the dates that they print on the food.  I found this interesting because I know my roommates and I have this dilemma all the time on whether we should eat it or pitch it.  Now I know that day old things are perfectly fine.   

2 comments:

  1. Me and my roommates do the same thing wondering if its still good or not. Usually we smell it to see if it smells different or looks different. I actually never knew that when it says its expired that its still not expired its just the producers being cautious. But when it comes to meat I don't think I will be able to eat it after the expiration date. I also like to buy food that stays in the freezer so it will last longer than like freshly made bread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always eat it. At best, you get a meal you have already paid for. At worst, you get a little food poisoning. What's a little food poisoning among friends? My wife throws everything out. I think it's a big waste of money to buy too much and then throw it out. And to what Seth said, the meat is only bad when it starts to change color.

    You may not want to take my advice on that last one.

    ReplyDelete